Christmas is a great time of year, but it’s also the time of year in which most house fires occur. Many of these can be avoided.
Here are UK Fire Training’s top twelve Christmas fire safety tips:
1. Make sure all Christmas tree lights have the British Standards logo
2. Do not leave your cooker unattended, most fires start in the kitchen
3. Elderly relatives and your neighbours are at particular risk so please check them this Xmas
4. Prepare an escape plan for family and visitors in the event of fire
5. Be very careful with candles. Keep them away from presents and your Christmas tree
6. Candles, matches and lighters should be kept safe from children
7. Never leave lights switched on when you go to bed
8. Do not overload sockets or extension leads
9. Open fireplaces can be a particular risk. Keep clothing and presents well away
10. Put out cigarettes carefully
11. Always use a residual current device on outdoor electrical equipment and lights
12. If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call 999
Have a safe Christmas!
At UK Fire Training, our services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Whatever your training or support requirements, we will endeavour to meet your needs.